1. How many words or characters can be engraved on a journal or custom sign?
Because every font is different in size, we don't have a limit, per se. 99.9% of the time we make journals and signs work out and look great! For the signs, a proof designed to scale will be emailed to you for approval.
2. Should there be an apostrophe "s" at the end of the family name on the sign I'm ordering?
3. I want a leather journal with engraving but unsure how big the type will be.
The text size will depend on the chosen font and name or caption length. Not to worry though, we will make sure that the size will suit the size of journal and be legible.
4. Can you engrave my company logo on a leather journal?
Yes. We will need a vector file format such as photoshop, illustrator or opened PDF.
5. Can I pick up my order?
Yes, simply choose "Pick Up" in the shipping options. Please note that we are located in West Cloverdale (Surrey, BC). You will receive an email shortly after your order is placed with our exact pick up address.
6. Can you ship to a P.O. Box?
Only with Canada Post. If you see that we are using Purolator or FedEx due to a Canada Post strike, then we can not ship to a PO Box.
7. Do you make your wood signs with vinyl letters?
No. There is no vinyl on our signs at all. Instead, our signs are engraved with the words etched permanently right into the wood, and then painted by hand.
8. How do I get a preview of the font for engraving?
Unfortunately, our site does not have a built in previewer. However, most of the fonts are common to Microsoft Word. We also recommend that you visit www.wordmark.it to see what different fonts look like with your caption.
9. Can wood signs be hung up outside?
The majority of our signs are for indoor use, but we do have a category for exterior outdoor signs: If you see another sign on our site that you would like to make as an outdoor sign, just mention it in the "Any Special Insructions" box when ordering. We'll also send you a proof to approve before making your outdoor sign.
10. Are all your Happy Customers comments actually from real customers and unsolicited?
They sure are. We are very blessed with many many Happy Customers from all over the world who have, out of their own initiative, emailed us to let us know how much they appreciate our service and quality. Some have even snail-mailed us hand-written cards!
11. Why Should I Choose Heartwood Gifts?
Good question. As the owner, I'm privileged to personally look after every single order that we receive from start to finish. And with my wife by my side, we not only aim to meet your expectations, we do our best to exceed them! Every aspect of our business is handled with the utmost in care, and the BEST service possible. Our many Happy Customers are proof we are striving to give the best service possible. We also have "Shopper Approved" status; a noted customer review and rating service. You'll find the badge on the left side of each category & product page. Just click on it for more details.
12. Are prices in USD or Canadian Dollars (CAD)?
Canadian Dollars. This is good news for American customers, since the USD is worth more than CAD. If paying with an American credit card, the currency conversion will be applied automatically on your statement.
14. Is my credit card information secure when I order?
Yes, your information is absolutely secure! Our website utilizes a SSL (secure socket layer) encryption to assure that your credit card information is not seen by anyone, including us. This is industry-standard encryption that major web sites use to protect users all over the web. Our security certificate is purchased through GeoTrust, the world's second largest online securtiy certificate provider. To verify, simply click the GeoTrust badge at the bottom right corner of the webpage. Alternatively, if you are on a PC, you may click on the padlock icon next to the "https" in the address bar. Note that our secure pages are only applicable on any webpage which requires your personal information, such as during checkout, or when you sign in to your account.
15. I just made a purchase, but when I went to find the product on the site, it was missing. What happened?
We only try to show products that we have in stock on the site. If there was only 1 left of the one you purchased and you were lucky enough to get the last one, our site will then not show it anymore. However, you can still access the product page if you have the direct URL or link to it. If you don't have this, just let us know and we'll be happy to send it to you.
16. Do you make the products on your site?
Our products are hand made from various artisans from all over (as many locally as possible); however, we are proud to say that we do hand craft the custom wood signs.
17. Can I get a shipping estimate without signing up for an account or going through the checkout process?
Yes, simply add the product(s) to the shopping cart and then click the red "Get a Quick Shipping Estimate" button. No signing up. No lengthy checkout process to go through.
18. Why is shipping more within Canada compared to within the USA?
It's a fact, in Canada, we pay more for shipping than in the USA. Maybe it's because our nation is vastly spread out with fewer major shipping hubs inbetween cities. Not to mention, we have a relatively low population, so less packages are shipped and our fuel prices are much higher. Whatever the reason(s), one thing we strive to do is keep our shipping rates as low as possible. To this end, Canada Post has extended a discount rate to us, and it is this rate which is integrated with our site. For Canadian/USA shipments, we also offer a discount coupon code for a fixed dollar amount off shipping (Yes, that means we pay for your savings), but we hope that eases the burden on you :)
19. Do you have a physical store?
We are an online store only and do not have a physical store. However we do welcome pick-ups (by appointment only). Please see the shipping page for more details on how to place an order for pick up.
20. It's difficult for me to purchase something I can't first touch. Is your product actually as good as the pictures show?
You know the anticipation you feel upon ordering that delicious menu item because the picture looks so good, only to be disappointed by the real thing when it comes to your table? Our goal is to not leave you with a similiar feeling. Thankfully, many of our customers have taken the time to email (some have actually snail-mailed handwritten cards) to express their appreciation for our products and service. Check out our "Happy Customers" page to read some of our customer's experiences. We hope this will help to instill the confidence you need to try out Heartwood Gifts.
21. Do you offer wholesale prices?
We can provide wholesale prices on our rustic signs only.
22. How long does it take for engraving journals and/or to make a wood sign?
Pleae allow up to 2 working days for personalized engraved journals to ship, and up to 3-4 working days for signs.
23. What do I do if there is a problem with my order?
Contact us immediately and reference your invoice number. If the error was our mistake, we will make it right without added cost to you. If it involves personalization and the error was your oversight, we will offer to do the job again (if possible) for the same charge. Please note that we do send out proofs for most engraving orders (ie. custom wood signs) and require approval before any work commences.
24. Why don't you only sell handmade products from Canada or the USA?
Good question. Although many of our products are from artisans in Canada and the USA, there are a few reasons why some come from other nations: First, many local artisans prefer to sell their own crafts instead of selling it at a wholesale price. Those who are open to selling their crafts to us have such high prices it is not feasible for us to resell it. Thirdly, we are happy to support fair-trade high quality crafts from developing nations, as it allows their communities to thrive.
25. Can I see a proof of my custom sign BEFORE I make a purchase on your site?
We require a purchase first for a few reasons:
1. Each sign design is worked on individually and incurs time to do; they are not automatically generated (which is why you won't see a preview online). Making a purchase through our site (or allowing us to input the order for you) places your order in a queue which is given priority. Anything outside of this can easily fall through the cracks.
3 An approved proof from you can only be forwarded to the production queue through our database.
4. Circumventing this process is unfair to our other paid customers.
Over the years, we have acquired numerous reviews (see our Happy Customers page) and have hundreds of sign samples on the site to give you an excellent idea of our style and capabilities. Rest assured, we will only make your custom sign after receiving your proof approval.
26. Can I send you a picture of a design to see if you can do it first before I buy?
Absolutely! Just email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll reply to let you know